Launch event on ‘Why hormones matter in EU health policy’ – ESE’ White Paper
This event is in the past
4 May 2021
The European Society of Endocrinology (ESE) is organising a webinar to present its new White Paper on endocrinology, titled “Hormones in European Health Policies: How endocrinologists can contribute towards a healthier Europe”. The webinar will feature high level policy makers, experts and other interested parties to discuss ‘why hormones matter in EU health policy’.
The event will introduce the interlinkages between endocrinology and COVID-19 and will have specific dedicated sessions for four important health topics: obesity, cancer, rare diseases and endocrine disrupting chemicals. For each topic, a discussion will take place between involved policymakers and expert endocrinologists.
The event will take place on Tuesday 4 May 2021 from 10:00 to 12:00. You can register using the following link: Register
The event will be moderated by journalist Cathy Smith.
Times are in CEST.
Welcome by ESE president Prof. Dr. Andrea Giustina, President of the European Society of Endocrinology (2019-2021), Member of the Italian Superior Health Council, Prorector and Chairman of the Institute of Endocrine and Metabolic Sciences, San Raffaele Vita-Salute University and IRCCS San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
Introductory remarks by John F. Ryan, Director for Public Health at DG SANTE
The ESE White Paper: an overview of the role of hormones in health and disease in the pandemic and post-pandemic era
- MEP Sirpa Pietikäinen (EPP, Finland) and ESE President Prof. Dr. Andrea Giustina
Panel 1 Obesity: A societal challenge with a strong and complex connection to hormones
- Prof. Dr. Liesbeth van Rossum – Head of Obesity Center, University of Rotterdam
- MEP Cristian-Silviu Buşoi (EPP, Romania)
Panel 2 Rare diseases: Solutions for the more than 440 distinct rare diseases that affect the endocrine system
- Kostas Aligiannis, Public Affairs Manager – EU & National Integrated Advocacy at the European Organisation for Rare Diseases (EURORDIS)
- Prof. Dr. Alberto Pereira – Head of the Division of Endocrinology Leiden University Medical Centre Coordinator of Endo-ERN
- Johan de Graaf – patient representative Endo-ERN ePAG
- Jose Valverde – Policy officer Digital Health and European Reference Networks at DG SANTE
Panel 3 Cancer: Prevention, treatment, care and quality of life all depend on hormones
- Prof. Dr. Monica Marazuela, Chief of Endocrinology and Nutrition at La Princesa Hospital in Madrid
- MEP Jytte Guteland (S&D, Sweden)
Panel 4 Endocrine disrupting chemicals: Exposure and health risks
- Prof. Dr. Josef Köhrle, Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Charité Berlin
- Cristina de Avila – Head of Unit Sustainable Chemicals at DG Environment
Closing remarks by ESE president Prof. Dr. Andrea Giustina
The event will take place on Tuesday 4 May 2021 from 10:00 to 12:00. You can register using the following link: