The Short-Term Fellowship Grant funds research visits from one week to three months for early-career members. The aim is to promote scientific collaboration between members of ESE.
The Short-Term Fellowship Grant is worth up to €2500 and is awarded for exchanges between two laboratories in different countries only. The Short-Term Fellowship Grant covers economy class travel plus subsistence (lodging and per diem) of the Fellow only, but not research costs or those of any dependents.
Closing date 31 May and 30 November each year
- Your short curriculum vitae including a list of publications.
- A short curriculum vitae and a letter of support from the host.
- A letter of acceptance from the head of the research group(s) in which you will be working (a template letter is available).
- A letter from the ESE Office confirming your membership.
If you have any questions regarding the application form and the required documentation please contact the ESE Office.
- Applicant must be an ESE member.
- Applicant must be a scientist with less than 10 years of professional experience since finishing their PhD (or equivalent) degree. They can also be a pre-doctoral scientist who has not yet completed a PhD degree (or equivalent).
- Only applications supported by a research project, including a research plan, will be considered.
- ESE will not consider applications for the Short-Term Fellowship Grant to prolong visits begun with other funding, or as bridging Fellowships between, or prior to, long term stays funded by other organisations.
- Applications for the Short-Term Fellowship Grant to attend courses, workshops, or symposia will not be considered.
- Applicants previously awarded with a Short-Term Fellowship Grant will have a lower priority.
- Incomplete or retrospective applications will not be considered.
- All documents should be sent electronically, preferably as a single pdf file. In addition, original signed letters should be sent by post to the ESE Office.
- The Short-Term Fellowship Grant should be taken up within six months of its award. Any delay will require the written authorisation of the ESE Science Committee.
- Within three months of completion of the Fellowship, the Fellow must send a short report detailing the work done while in receipt of the Short-Term Fellowship Grant to the ESE Science Committee. The Short-Term Fellowship Grant should be acknowledged in any work published relating to the project funded and a reprint of each article should be sent electronically to the ESE Science Committee.
Applications will be reviewed by the Science Committee twice a year, after the deadline stated. There is a limited amount of funding available for the Short-Term Fellowship Grants and the Treasurer’s decision is final. Payment will only be paid in advance to an organisation/institutional account and of payment to a personal bank account will only be paid once the Fellowship is completed and against receipts, if requested.