Personal data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable living person. When collecting and using personal data, our policy is to be transparent about why and how we process personal data.
The European Society of Endocrinology is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The European Society of Endocrinology may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title.
- contact information including email address.
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests.
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers.
- credit/debit card information provided to us other than online.
What we do with the information that we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- With your consent, we may periodically send emails which we think you may find interesting, using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
- If you sign up to a network, your contact details (among other information) can be seen by other members of the same network.
How long we keep the information
We retain the personal data processed by us in a live environment for as long as is considered necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was collected (including as required by applicable law or regulation, typically 6 years).
In addition, personal data may be securely archived with restricted access and other appropriate safeguards where there is a need to continue to retain it.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. Staff are trained on data protection, confidentiality and security.
We have a framework of policies and procedures which ensure we regularly review the appropriateness of the measures we have in place to keep the data we hold secure.
If you pay your fees by credit or debit card, we will not retain your card details after processing your payment. You will need to resubmit this information for future transactions.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added, and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use Google Analytics to collect information about how visitors use the website. This measurement service enables us to monitor and improve how the European Society of Endocrinology website is used. These cookies collect your data anonymously.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website.
Locations of Processing
Where possible, personal data resides within the UK territory but may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination within the European Economic Area (EEA). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is treated securely, in accordance with this privacy statement.
We have taken steps to ensure all personal data is provided with adequate protection and that all transfers of personal data outside the EU are done lawfully. Where we transfer personal data outside of the EU to a country not determined by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of protection for personal data, the transfers will be under an agreement which covers the EU requirements for the transfer of personal data outside the EU.
Individuals have certain rights over their personal data and we are responsible for fulfilling these rights as follows:
- Individuals may request access to their personal data held by ESE.
- Individuals may request us to rectify personal data submitted to us or, where appropriate, contact us via the relevant website registration page or by amending the personal details held on relevant applications with which they registered.
- Individuals may request that we erase their personal data.
- Where we process personal data based on consent, individuals may withdraw their consent at any time by contacting us or clicking on the unsubscribe link in an email received from us.
- Individuals may have other rights to restrict or object to our processing of personal data and the right to data portability.
- Individuals may request information about, or human intervention into, any automated data processing that we may undertake.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please send an email to the Data Protection Contact at email@example.com, or please contact the European Society of Endocrinology, Redwood House, Brotherswood Court, Great Park Road, Almondsbury Business Park, Bradley Stoke, Bristol, BS32 4QW, UK.
Controlling your personal information
If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless it is necessary for us to fulfill our obligation to you, we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
If you want to complain about our use of personal data, please send an email with the details of your complaint to the Data Protection Contact at email@example.com. We will investigate and respond to any complaints we receive.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK Data Protection Regulator, the Information Commissioner's Office (“ICO”). For further information on your rights and how to complain to the ICO, please refer to the ICO website https://ico.org.uk/concerns.