Summer School PhD Travel Grants
Travel grant applications for Summer School 2024 are now open
ESE offers 15 PhD Travel Grants worth €700 each to contribute towards the cost of attending the annual ESE Summer School. These grants are available to ESE Early Career members who are currently PhD students. They can be used to reimburse registration (which includes accommodation) and travel expenses.
For more information on ESE membership, or to join us, please visit the membership pages.
You can apply for a PhD Travel Grant by completing an application form. You will be asked to include proof of your PhD Student status. More details will be available when applications open.
- You must be a current member of ESE in the Early Career category (PhD students).
- Members in the Full career stage can apply if they benefit from the Low Income Country subscription rate. The full list of membership categories and fees can be found here.
- To be eligible for the Low Income Country subscription rate, an applicant will need to reside in a country which is below high income country status, as classified by the World Bank.
- Please contact ESE if you need to update your membership category, career stage or subscription type before you apply for a grant.
- The PhD Grant is available for attendance to the ESE Summer School and can be used for payment towards travel or registration (which includes accommodation).
- Only one grant will be issued per applicant for attendance to ESE Summer School (i.e., either a PhD Grant or Meeting Grant, not both).
You will be notified if your application has been successful or not as soon as possible after applications close and have been reviewed. The Treasurer’s decision is final.
Grants are paid to applicants after the ESE Summer School, and on receipt of an expense claim form and supporting receipts or documentation. These need to be submitted to the ESE Office within six weeks of the ESE Summer School. Payment to an institution can be made in advance of the meeting.
Please contact the ESE Office for further information.
Please note: We are unable to provide grants to individuals or institutions currently under sanction according to the consolidated list of financial sanctions targets in the UK, as listed here.
Applications are verified to ensure this is not the case before a grant is awarded. ESE does not permit sanctioned individuals or individuals from sanctioned institutions to attend any ESE events. Please refer to our Sanctions Policy for details.